Para información en español, por favor haga clic aquí
A Program funded by the Colorado Traumatic Brain Injury Trust Fund
As a parent of a child with a brain injury:
- Have you ever felt overwhelmed with navigating resources?
- Have you ever needed specialized services for brain injury?
- Have you ever wondered what the differences are between an IEP and a 504 Plan?
- Have you ever wanted to talk to someone who understands brain injury?
- Have you ever wondered what services are covered by Medicaid?
- Have you ever needed support in completing applications for benefits?
Colorado Youth Brain Injury Connections works to provide coordinated care across community, health, and educational settings to meet the individual needs of children and youth (0-21 years old) with a brain injury. This includes coordinating educational opportunities to parties seeking further information on brain injury.
This program is supported by the Colorado Brain Injury Program with funding through the Colorado Traumatic Brain Injury Trust Fund and is a partnership between the Colorado Department of Education, Brain Injury Alliance of Colorado and the Health Care Program for Children with Special Needs (HCP). Please note this is not a crisis care program.
Child and Family Support
Once referred to the program, each child/family will work with a care coordinator from the Health Care Program for Children with Special Needs (HCP). HCP Care Coordinators are public health professionals located across the state of Colorado.
Care coordinators will:
- Identify community and state services/resources
- Coordinate access to pediatric specialty care
- Navigate options to help pay for health care
- Help coordinate transition to adult health care
- Answer questions
Once referred to the program, each child/family will be contacted by the Statewide Brain Injury Education Liaison at the Colorado Department of Education.
Education Liaison will:
- Conduct a needs assessment of the child/family’s educational needs
- Provide consultation and support to schools
- Follow up and monitor progress as needed
Youth Brain Injury Connections partners with the Brain Injury Alliance of Colorado to assist with referrals and intake. If you know of a child with brain injury that could benefit from support from this program, please complete the on-line referral form. Once you have submitted the form, the family will be contacted to initiate services. You can also call 1-888-331-3311 if you would like assistance completing the referral form.
For Training Needs
If you have training needs in your community, school, or district, please fill out our Education Request Form and someone will be in touch with you shortly.