Para información en español, por favor haga clic aquí
A Program funded by the Colorado Traumatic Brain Injury Trust Fund
The goals of the program are to:
- Increase the knowledge and skills of the people that serve children with brain injury.
- Promote seamless transition and support from the time of diagnosis/identification to the point of transition to adulthood.
Child and Family Support
Once referred to the program, each child/family will work with a care coordinator from the Health Care Program for Children with Special Needs (HCP). HCP Care Coordinators are public health professionals located across the state of Colorado. They have specific training in helping children with brain injury and finding valuable resources in their communities. The goals of care coordination are:
- Assess child/family needs and strengths
- Identify resources to address medical, social, education and community needs
- Collaborate with health care, community and education providers
- Coordinate multiple resources
Youth Brain Injury Connections is able to provide consultation to families around educational needs and provide training and support to school personnel to promote a successful school career.
Colorado Department of Education
Youth Brain Injury Connections has a partnership with the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) to provide training to increase skills and knowledge of the systems and people that serve children with brain injury.
Brain Injury Education and Health Consultants
In partnership with Youth Brain Injury Connections, CDE employs Brain Injury Education and Brain Injury Health Consultants. The goals of these Consultants are to:
- Develop a network of school based brain injury teams
- Develop a method for identification, assessment and intervention for children with brain injury
- Implement a hospital to school transition protocol (including emergency departments)
- Provide coordination, training and technical assistance for the Regional Brain Injury Liaisons
Youth Brain Injury Connections partners with the Brain Injury Alliance of Colorado to assist with referrals and intake. If you know of a child with brain injury that could benefit from support from this program, please complete the on-line referral form. Once you have submitted the form, the family will be contacted to initiate services. You can also call 1-888-331-3311 if you would like assistance completing the referral form.
For Training Needs
If you have training needs in your community, school, or district, please fill out our Education Request Form and someone will be in touch with you shortly.