BIAC is committed to non-discrimination and aims to provide a diverse, equitable, and inclusive experience in which all employees, board members, volunteers, and clients feel valued and respected regardless of gender identity, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion, socioeconomic status, education, or disability. BIAC respects and values diversity and strives to create a space in which all voices are empowered and celebrated.
BIAC is committed to being a leading community organization, modelling diversity and inclusion with impeccable service to support survivors of injuries to the brain to thrive.
In aligning to these values, BIAC has recently started with the following steps:
- Started a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee that meets regularly to advocate for future changes that further this initiative.
- The DEI Committee has established an organization wide recommendation to include pronouns in email signatures and correspondence.
- Created and disseminated a survey among staff that assesses a baseline measurement of our current practices and identifies areas for growth.
- Actively seeking external expertise and support in order to inform our DEI vision and strategy.
To provide informed diversity, equity, and inclusion, BIAC will follow-up with these measures:
- Develop a system to be more intentional and conscious of bias during the hiring, promotion, and evaluation processes.
- Identify and dismantle any inequities within our internal policies and external practices and continually evaluating progress and updating priorities accordingly.
- Pursue cultural humility throughout our organization by creating substantive learning opportunities and formal, transparent policies.
- Improve our cultural leadership pipeline by creating and supporting programs and policies that foster leadership that reflects the diversity of our community.
- Continue to aggregate quantitative and qualitative research related to equity to make incremental, measurable progress toward the visibility of our diversity, equity, and inclusive efforts.
- Advocate for public policies that promote diversity, equity and inclusion. Challenge systems and policies that create inequity, oppression, and disparity.
- Strive to collaborate with other community organizations that advance values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.